My doctor wants to try me on lithium

A place to ask questions about taking this medication for Bipolar Disorder.
shannon

My doctor wants to try me on lithium

Post by shannon » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:42 pm

I just saw my doctor today and now he wants to try me on lithium. I guess my question is, what are evryones thoughts on lithium? Does it work for you? Pros and cons?
Thank you

MegJGeist

Re: My doctor wants to try me on lithium

Post by MegJGeist » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:24 pm

I have been om lithium for almost a year now. It's the only med that has workes for me. Pro: I am able to be productive. Con: hard to loose weight.
Combines with trileptal and cogentin for side effects it seems like a good cocktail for.

KittyKate

Post by KittyKate » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:26 pm

I was advised lithium is a last resort as it's nearly impossible to get off of once started.
Also need constant blood tests to make sure you are receiving the correct dosage. Extreme weight gain and increased appetite are common negative side effects.
It's a high maintenance drug IMO.

RobynWells

Post by RobynWells » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:28 pm

There are many different types of lithium. It's fantastic when it's working properly. I've been on it for 3 and a half years. Was on straight lithium for almost 3 years when I knew something wasn't right. I pushed for blood work to find out I was in lithium toxicity for 8 months. So they switched me to a slow release lithium (Lithmax). Since then it's been amazing!! My best advice is to maintain regular blood work. Lots of factors can effect the way your body processes lithium. Nut honestly, My life is SO much better since getting on the right type of lithium for me. So if this one doesn't work don't get discouraged!!! Keep an open line of communication with your healthcare professionals, and maintain your bloodwork, but all in all it can work wonders!!

I'd like to add that I also have PTSD. Not sure if that makes a difference but incase it does. I've noticed everyone is mentioning weight gain, That's never been an issue for me. But that might be because of the PTSD. Just want you to have as much information as you can.

MelissaWhite

Post by MelissaWhite » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:31 pm

I hated it! I gained 80lbs in 3 months. My moods were totally bonkers. I had to be weaned off it slowly. After many med changes my Dr put me on trilepital (spelling?). I was diagnosed at 12 (I'm 37 now)

BeverlySisco

Post by BeverlySisco » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:32 pm

I gained about 50 pounds in less than a year on Lithium and finally told the Dr I wanted off it.

LauraS66

Post by LauraS66 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:35 pm

Yes. Pro's - calms racing thoughts, quells anger. Cons - makes you ridiculously thirsty, and toxicity happens quickly if you don't keep up your water intake eg. Muscle weakness, stomach pains, nausea. I find sodium valporate (epilim) works just as well, but without the side-effects.

NatalieWood

Post by NatalieWood » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:36 pm

I've been on lithium for about 3yrs now 800mg priadel I've found it to be really effective and stabilised my mood mire or less I very rarely have any depressive episodes although can be hypomanic in some occasions I'm not taking it with any other medication as I don't like feeling like a zombie which I seem to when I take anything else. I don't suffer from any side effects from the lithium. The only downside is having to have blood tests every 3 months to check the levels of lithium in your system xx

Susan Rates-Cable

Post by Susan Rates-Cable » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:50 pm

I had a ridiculously difficult time with Lithium... it totally turned me into an emotionless zombie and would make me black out! Wasn't a great match for my particular Bipolar II
But, even in our mental illness we are 100% unique! Give it a go!!! It might be exactly what you need!!! Hugs & good luck ♡

KelleyBanta

Post by KelleyBanta » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:51 pm

Love it. Been on it for 5 yrs. It was my first game changer as far as meds go

Return to “General Questions About Lithobid”